Saturday, September 22, 2012

No turning back now. 9/22/12

I've been ready to go for months in a sense, but then again, It's harder than ever to leave everyone behind. I don't think I've skimped on gushing to people about how I'll miss them. Being across the country cements the feelings of finality. I'm so happy to be where I'm at both physically and mentally. The support from everybody (e-v-e-r-y-b-o-d-y) humbles me and gives me all my motivation. I've even received support from people that I least expected! For example, I boarded my flight and the 66 year old salesman sitting to my left (I had the window seat- YUSSS!!) started a conversation. I explained that I was on my way to my Peace Corps Pre-service training. After talking a bit, the man offered to buy me a breakfast on the airplane to thank me for my service; I declined quickly, expressing profusely my gratitude, because of the fact that I have not done anything yet deserving of such kindness. The flight attendant overheard the man speaking of "service" and explained  that soldiers eat for free- she had mistakenly thought that I was with the military. I told her that I wasn't a soldier but the man added that I was with the Peace Corps. The flight attendant gave me a complementary package of Beef Jerky and an oatmeal cookie saying that the two services are similar. I can't say that I think that the military and the Peace Corps are too terribly similar, but I think that I can agree that they're both in the business of executing actions in the name of the United States. I'm incredibly motivated to represent my country.
 I'm reminded by a conversation I had with my father about how incredibly lucky I am to be an American; I'm about to see iniquity and disparity that I've not yet seen in my life. As sad as I am to leave- as hard as it is to leave everyone I love behind, I think that my feeling sorry for myself will be small potatoes when I land in Mozambique. I have the luxury of going to another country to build a future for myself and become enriched by another culture. I'm going to gain so much more than I can give (possibly the understatement of the year).
Finally, to be completely repetitive, I am so thankful to everyone that has given me a pat on the back. My parents, my sister, and my close friends gave me all I need to do this. How could I let all them down??? I'm finally doing it! I'm going to teach math in Mozambique!

No comments:

Post a Comment